Friday, July 13, 2007

Who am I?


I guess I should probably take the time to introduce myself properly. I’m originally an Idaho native and, until moving to Pasadena, CA to attend Fuller Theological Seminary for my doctoral studies in clinical psychology and masters level studies in Christian theology, I lived in a small town called Kuna, about 20 minutes from Boise, Idaho. I grew up on a dairy farm, so I have a skill-set that is rather uncommon to SoCal and perspectives of life’s rhythms, nature, and God that are probably a bit more tied to this blue orb we all call home than most others.
I’m beginning my fourth year of study at Fuller and have enjoyed the diversity of students’ backgrounds immensely. I come from a Nazarene background, which maintains a Wesleyan perspective, and I have been thrilled to be challenged by individuals of dissimilar and similar traditions alike. I’m continually struck by how much we, as members of one Body of believers, need one another and have enormous opportunities for mutual growth through relationship.
In beginning the task of looking at how the Church can engage culture and how we can live the text (scripture) within our world and our particular culture, I have to acknowledge that I have had some fantastic models to give me a starting point. What I want most in the context of the Living the Text class is to come to a better understanding of the ways in which I can create a dialogue between the text and culture, rather than having to choose between one or the other. I do not agree with those who consume culture uncritically, but I do not agree with cultural asceticism either. I believe that a middle ground is necessary and I am looking for tools and ways to do this so that both the message of the text and the messages of culture are addressed authentically rather than bent to accommodate one or the other. So…I welcome any thoughts from fellow travelers on this journey!

No comments: